Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Home Sweet Home

Some of you know that I moved into my new, permanent apartment this past weekend. Those of you who didn't know that, know now. It's quite a relief to finally unpack and have my own space. As nice as the place I was living for the past five weeks was, living out of a suitcase gets old, really fast. So without any more ado, some pictures of the new abode.
The kitchen. My new roommate/landlord Teresa and I both agree that wood was a good choice. Much nicer looking than the plain white cabinets that are so common in Danish kitchens.
The bathroom, which may or may not be the best part of the whole apartment. It's got a heated floor... Ja tak!
The view from my window. Thar be the famous lakes.
The desk/table/organizational corner.
And the piece de resistance, By far the largest bed I've ever had all to myself. In my opinions it's a bit too big and lonely. But aside from that, can you say 'hyggelig'?
Here's a fun game for all of you readers out there: How many of the furnishings in my apartment are from IKEA?
 
If you said all of them, you're right. Pat yourself on the back for being able to spot cheap yet attractive and durable Scandinavian design.
________________________
 
 
Word of the Day:
 
I wasn't just speaking rhetorically when I threw that Danish curveball into my writing.
Hyggelig: There is no literal translation for this worth. It means something along the lines of 'cozy', but it's more than that.
It's pronounced 'hoog-lee'. But the 'oo' sounds more like 'ΓΌ', for those of you that know what that sounds like. The noun is 'hygge', pronounced 'hoog-eh'. Same deal with the 'oo' sound.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment