Sunday, April 7, 2013

Into Africa: Jardin Majorelle

I have returned from my triumphant first foray into Africa. I've finally made it onto my third continent, and I'm very excited about it.
The website I used to make this informs me I've visited a mere 9% of the world's countries. Clearly I have a ways to go.
Though we flew into Casablanca, we spent no time there. Rather, we immediately headed south to Marrakech. If I did this all again, I would definitely just fly there directly. After being in a city of around one million people and witnessing the bustle and disorganization there, I have no desire to visit one six times that size.
Heading down to Marrakech, I was really struck by how different this place looked from anywhere else I've ever been. Not only that, but it contains a surprisingly large variety of biomes for such a small place. You can go from desolate, post-apocalyptic looking scrublands to lush hills to snow covered mountains in just a few hours. It also contains a pretty significant bit of Sahara, though sadly we didn't get out to see that. I'm sure many people are familiar with the saying 'if you don't like the weather in New England, wait five minutes'. Something similar can be said about Morocco. If you don't like your surroundings, drive about 50 kilometers down the road.
Anyway, after getting settled in Marrakech, our first move was to go visit the fairly famous Jardin Majorelle. This was a good move; the gardens are absolutely beautiful, and very peaceful. We were a bit in shock after negotiating the very busy city. I could go off on a complete tangent about the insanity of Moroccan roads, but this is neither the time nor place for that.
The garden was designed in the 1920s and 30s by Jacques Majorelle, a French artist who relocated to Morocco during its colonization. The very vibrant blue used throughout the garden was specially designed by him, and is called Majorelle Blue in his honor. From 1980, the garden was owned by designed Yves Saint Laurent. After his death, his ashes were scattered there.
Entering the premises. You're immediately struck by the colors.
And the amount of blue. It really is everywhere.
I was particularly excited about the palm trees. I'd never seen one in real life before.
An artsy leaf shot.
There were a lot of these urns everywhere. All bright colors.
This picture doesn't do the blue justice.
Just one of many gorgeous windows and doorways we saw on this trip.
A little close up of a window grille.
One of several fountains in the garden.
Some cacti. 
The house, now home to a museum and gift shop.
Fun Fact: Morocco is on roughly the same latitude as Georgia and Florida. Blew my mind when I found that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment