Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Copenhagen Botanical Garden

I have a shameful confession to make: in the approximately ten months I have lived in my current apartment, I have never once visited the Copenhagen Botanical Garden. Oh yeah- I live two blocks from it. And after my visit to it today, I very much regret having squandered all that time. Simply put, the place is beautiful.
Waving grass, city skyline in the background.
Real trees, and undergrowth? In Copenhagen?
Especially for someone like me, who has never lived in a city before, and who is seriously jonesing for a taste of nature, this place is a godsend. It's bigger than it looks from outside, and much more full of trees. There's basically a small, if very well-kempt forest. I love it there.
It has a small lake, complete with fish.
A lake, and trees. It practically feels like home.
That statue doesn't look like New Jersey though. Ah well.
I saw my first Copenhagen squirrel today. He was adorable.
In among the trees, you find the more traditional features of a botanical garden- neatly planted beds of well manicured, well tended plants, complete with tidy little identification tags. Unfortunately, the tags only contained the scientific Latin names and their Danish vernacular names, so I'm not entirely sure what many of the plants I was looking at were. But I'm sure some of the master gardeners I know could...

Danish order.
I don't know what these are, but they were pretty.
I'm pretty sure this is a foxglove.
I know this one. It's a rose.
Again, I have no idea. But really cool looking.
Look forward to the next installment, in which I return during the opening hours of the cactus and orchid houses. Should be a rollicking adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment