Monday, December 20, 2010

Hej Hej

As unbelievable as it seems, my four months in Denmark are at an end. It seems like mere days ago that I hauled my jetlagged carcass off a plane and into an almost completely unknown country. It took about half an hour for me to realize that I had picked the perfect place for me. Even accidentally buying buttermilk instead of normal milk was unable to lessen my enthusiasm for the country.


Over the course of the next few months our apartment straight out of the pages of an IKEA catalog became a home.
Group dinners became a highlight. Pictured here: Latkes in progress.
What started out as a random group of strangers coalesced into a family unit. We got hyggeligt, swapped the most outrageous Youtube videos we could find, made gourmet meals on a whim and were just generally great friends. Skindergade 40, 3rd Floor, you will forever hold a place in my heart.
The family, together at last. Notice the American Gothic interpretation going on on the far left.
I learned how to cook things I never dreamed I'd ever be able to make. I discovered how few clothes I really need.  Although I didn't think it possible, I became even more independent. I figured out a several things about what I want to do with my life.
Hint: It does not include sitting at a desk day in and day out.
I came to understand a culture very different from our own. I picked up some admittedly limited Danish.  I became  much more outgoing. And organized. And I made some of the best friends I could ever hope to have.
'Where's the party?' 'It's at A Bar.' 'Yeah I know. But which one?'
Studenterhuset. So glad we barely benefited from your presence.
Stay tuned for further musings, reflections, and venting of reverse culture shock. 

No comments:

Post a Comment