Tuesday, December 14, 2010

She's Back

Yes, the Little Mermaid has finally been returned to her post on the harbor. Now that I actually have the luxury of time on my hands, I was able to go on a nice long bike ride yesterday, and naturally she was one of the stops. This trip took me down towards Parliament, along the harbor, down to Kastellet where the Little Mermaid is situated, and then back up though the Jul Marked in Nyhavn.
Looking down the waterfront.
This chap s also guarding the harbor.
There she is. Finally.
People take their Jul very seriously here.
 One of the Danes I've met here told me a story about the Little Mermaid. An American couple stopped him one day as he was walking near the park where it's located to ask him where they could find the statue. They had assumed it would be very easy to find. After he pointed them in the right direction, they proceeded to ask him what the hours for the restaurant were. Confused, he asked what they were talking about. "The restaurant in the Mermaid," they replied.


Sadly, that is apparently not an isolated incident. So please, Americans, be advised that the Little Mermaid is in fact little- roughly life sized. 
Oh, and I went to a dedicated Lego store. I was in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment