Monday, October 29, 2012

Baltic Adventures: Trakai

Yesterday was the first snow of the year in Vilnius; winter is coming my friends, and I for one could not be happier. So that was the first highlight of the day. Other excellent features included sunshine and getting out of the city, smelling fall and wood smoke.

Behold- snow on the city hall.
And snow on some Lithuania countryside.
Just 30 km southwest-ish of Vilnius lies the lake district of Lithuania. The best known town in this area is Trakai, which is an absolutely beautiful place. Most of it is on an island in the middle of a lake, with outskirts on surrounding islands and peninsulas, which are connected to it by foot bridges. Also in this town is a painstakingly reconstructed castle, perched on its own little island. Apparently it’s a UNESCO sight, which I can easily believe. But rather than waxing poetic about how beautiful this area was (which I could easily do, believe me), I’ll let the pictures do the talking…
Colorful boats. This seems to be a trend here.
And a picturesque dock.
Suddenly, a castle.
And there it is again.
Inside the courtyard.
Have you ever seen a duck with an itch? Because I have.
More bridges, and more lake.
Sunset in Vilnius.

No comments:

Post a Comment