Thursday, October 25, 2012

Baltic Adventures: Vilnius

My trusty backpack and I, ready to go collect some new patches.
Where am I today? Funny you should ask. Today I'm in Vilnius, the capitol of Lithuania, because why not. And let me tell you, I am just brimming with wisdom and insight for you about this place.
First off, do not, under any circumstances arrive at the Vilnius airport before the buses start running (at 5:15am). Sure, it's a nice building- oddly nice- but casual napping is simply not possible. This morning I experienced the second coldest and most uncomfortable sleeping conditions of my life, and they were second only to that one night I spent on Mt. Marcy...
Seriously, this does not look like an airport. Also, those metal seats actually seem to defy physics and get colder the longer you lay on them. Avoid at all costs.
However, after the bus came, it was very easy to get to my hostel- a mere 15 minute bus ride and brisk 2 minute walk. But since I was already up and moving, I figured I may as well keep moving and explore the city a bit. And I'm glad I did; I got the unique experience of watching a city wake up, something a casual tourist rarely gets to see.
And let me tell you, it was beautiful. Damp, but beautiful.
Hey look- I found a Lutheran church.
After wandering to the respectable hour of 7:00, I grabbed some breakfast, and was pleasantly surprised at how cheap everything is here. Coffee and a croissant for 8.25 litai? Why yes thank you. (A dollar is about 2.26 litai.)
Given the incredible cheapness, eating lunch out seemed like a reasonable ide, and I was not disappointed. Lithuanian fare seems to focus on beets and meat scraps. Dumplings are a very popular menu item, as are chicken giblets, and neck cuts of pork, whatever those are.
And that was just fine with me. Dumplings, bacon and awesome sauce. And beer. The lunch of champions as far as I'm concerned.
But that's enough fun for one day. Stay tuned for more later!

No comments:

Post a Comment