Friday, August 27, 2010

Cultural Immersion (Literally)

In an effort to combine two necessities in my life, the need to stay in shape and the need to interact with real live Danes, I joined the local swim center, which is essentially the Danish equivalent of a YMCA. This morning I made my first expedition to this mysterious place.
Thanks for the picture Wikipedia. I forgot my camera this morning.
Negotiating this Mecca of Danish fitness at 6:30 in the morning was, well, a great way to jolt myself into full consciousness. Successfully made it through the turnstile AND located the proper changing room unassisted, both accomplishments of which I am quite proud. It wasn't until I entered the changing room though that I was reminded of the European custom of disrobing in the open. And apparently bathing suits are optional... 
Credit to Klubpiraten.dk. Cameras are probably frowned upon in the pool area.
This place really is cool though. My favorite feature is the elliptical pool: a 100 meter oval complete with current to swim against. I find this extra-excellent as I am completely incapable of doing flip-turns in a lap pool. A bit difficult to negotiate though- in keeping with the local custom of going nowhere in a hurry, no one swims quickly, and there is no system to accommodate those who do. This creates an obstacle course-like atmosphere, which is actually quite fun. It adds to the exhilaration.

2 comments:

  1. Hi from Oneonta!

    Looks like you are thriving! I want you to get to the bottom of the Danish and Danish Bleu cheese lore. Have you encountered either of these wonders yet?

    Keep swimming! Love from Aunt Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have found Danish Bleu Cheese. It is quite fantastic. Very good in a crumbly dressing...

    ReplyDelete