Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Living in IKEA

If anyone's ever wondered what it would be like to live in an IKEA display, I advise moving to Skindergad 40. Just as you might imagine, everything is pretty modern and clean and kind of sparse. It's a good thing I brought minimal clothing, as there is minimal clothing storage. By far the oddest thing about our room is the complete lack of drawers- everything's just hanging out in the open. I guess this makes my living arrangements sound fairly wretched, but I actually am a big fan.


This is our room. Can you tell which side is mine?
Not having drawers is already forcing me to be more neat and organized. And while the furniture isn't necessarily the style I would have chosen, it's pretty cool from a design standpoint to learn to adapt to it. (Here's where my inner design nerd comes out to play.)


Most notable differences from American residences:


  • No screens in the windows, which are pretty funkified in their own way. Lots of hooks and hinges.
  • No top sheets on the bed.
  • Stairs far too steep and narrow to be up to any sort of code.
  • We have our own enclosed courtyard. Coolest thing ever.


Even the silverware is from IKEA.

No comments:

Post a Comment