Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Hiking the Matthorn: Day 12

That's the Matthorn, not the Matterhorn, so don't get too excited. But still, this was a pretty substantial hike in and of itself. Standing 2041 m high, the hike up is just over 1600 m or a mile of vertical ascent. the most amazing thing about the hike, besides the unbelievable panoramic views of course, was experiencing some very different weather... situations.
It went from hot and sunny at the base...
... To freezing, windy and snow-covered at the summit.
Luckily by the time I hit the snowfields, I picked up the trail of a seasoned local, which was good because otherwise the track would have been completely indiscernible. There's nothing like a good, strenuous, 6 hour hike through the snow to bring one's spirits up; I call this just what the doctor ordered. 
That just soothes the soul, doesn't it?
Being serenaded by cowbells, Alpenhorns, and my own cacophonous and very random singing was just an added bonus. But I think the highlight had to be seeing a chamois frolicking across my path.
An exceptional specimen.
I also made some other friends, thanks to my orange.
Look at them thar Tächis.
All in all, an amazing day. I highly recommend it to anyone who can walk, and is amenable to slogging through mud and making at least 100 switchbacks. (I counted 86 on the way down, not including the top quarter, during which time I was too busy trying not to die and calling myself an idiot for climbing up there without crampons.)
Just one more unbelievable vista. It was like being on top of the world.
And just look at how happy I am to be nearing the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment