Sunday, November 28, 2010

Hikings With Vikings

Maybe hiking isn't quite the right word, but it rhymed, so it will have to do. I suppose rambling across the countryside is a more accurate way to put it, but that doesn't have quite the same ring to it. Don't think for a second that I'm complaining about the lack of mountains or anything of the sort though. A three hour walk through frosty and snow-covered Norwegian woods (get it?) and fields was a great way to spend the morning. I came to the unexpected realization that the countryside surrounding Oslo looks exactly like northern Vermont. And I mean exactly.
A picturesque frozen stream.
Even the ice here seems cooler than our indigenous variety.
Sun in the pines.
A rare moment of sunshine.
A very Vermont-y looking river.
On the way back to our hostel, for the combined purpose of doing something productive and warming up we made a side trip to the Edvard Munch Museum. The museum owns almost all of his works, as he left all the ones which had not been sold at the time of his death to the city of Oslo. I quite like his painting style, so I found this particularly enjoyable. 
The Scream. Brings back fond memories of 5th Grade art.
Great color on this one, the name of which escapes me.
The Airedale. I love it.
Another one that I really like which I've forgotten the name of.

No comments:

Post a Comment