Wednesday, November 3, 2010

München: Day 3 & 4

München is a fantastic city. Small enough to walk literally everywhere you could possibly want to go within the city limits, and chock full of history. My hostel was directly across from the Augustiner Bierhalle, which was highly convenient. I had been planning to cook for myself in order to save money, but as luck would have it, all the supermarkets were closed upon my arrival, as November 1 is a national holiday here in Deutschland. I was therefore tragically forced to eat in the aforementioned Bierhalle, and it was so delicious and fun that I returned last night. Everyone is extremely friendly here and very willing to strike up a conversation in English, as evidenced by my new-found friendship with a very jolly couple from Nüremberg. I contend that it would be a sin to visit Bavaria and not try the food and beer.

During my exploration of the city I managed to hit every tourist attraction possible- the English Gardens and Chinese Tower, the Maximillianeum, the Hofbräuhaus, the Rathaus (complete with dancing figurines on the stroke of noon), several churches (basically required stops as an architecture student), and the Residenz Palatz and treasury. 

In the English Garden.
Still.
Just one more.
Possibly the coolest duck I've ever seen,
The Rathaus. I had to do the touristy thing and watch the figures rotate at noon. Leave it to the Germans to come up with something as complex as this.
The Antiquarium in the Royal Palace. This place was outrageous. Absolutely enormous and ornate.
Augustiner Bierhalle, my new favorite restaurant.

1 comment:

  1. Remind me the next time I see you (!) to tell you the story of why I did not get the chance to see ANY of the sight seeing stops you mentioned (minus 1 church)... It's an interesting story.

    ReplyDelete