Saturday, November 6, 2010

Interlaken: Day 5, 6 & 7

I should probably have realized when planning this trip the flaw with coming here: it's just too dadgum beautiful. I don't want to leave. My hostel here in Interlaken has been fabulous, with the exception of not having a stove. Hello microwave mashed potatoes. Om nom nom.Otherwise though it's been all I could ask for and more- jocular staff, free live music and only 2 minutes from the train station. But enough about accommodations. 


Interlaken itself is a very picturesque town. Walking from Interlaken West, where I'm staying, to Interlaken Ost, the location of the main train station, entails only a half hour mosey along the exceptionally turquoise river.
See? Turquoise.
Naturally I went up to Lauterbrunnen to start both my hikes. It is the off season in this area right now, so neither the Grutschalpbahn nor the BLM are running, but being quite motivated, I hiked up to Mürren the first day. Let me tell you- 800 meters of altitude gain is nothing to sneeze at. But the views were more than worth it.
I rest my case.
Totally worth the effort.
 Day two I walked from Lauterbrunnen up to the outskirts of Stechelberg and then headed into the mountains once more, in the direction of the Rotstockhütte. The views were not as spectacular, but I did get a look at the sides of the Schwarzer Mönch, Jungfrau and Schilthorn. that I had not seen before. The other highlight was following a nice mountain bach which ran alongside the path.
Babbling brook.
And the Jungfrau. Impressive as always.
 Alas, now my feet are killing me, and I have to pack. But that's life.

2 comments:

  1. I'm quite jealous you went to the swiss alps. That's actually high on my mom's to go to list.

    ReplyDelete